The end of the information age will coincide with the beginning of the robot age. However, we will not soon see a world in which humans and androids walk the streets together, like in movies or cartoons; instead, information technology and robotics will gradually fuse so that people will likely only notice when robot technology is already in use in various locations.
Our role will be to lead this integration of information and robotics technologies by constantly proposing new scientific and technological concepts. Toward this, knowledge of art and philosophy will be invaluable. Technology has made art "reproducible"; likewise, artistic sense has contributed to the formation of new technologies, and artistic endeavors themselves are supported by philosophical contemplation and analysis.
Hereafter, human societies will continue to change due to "informationization" and robotization; in this ever-changing setting, artistic activities and philosophical speculation will allow us to comprehend the essential natures of humans and society, so that we can produce truly novel science and technological innovations in a research space which lies beyond current notions of "fields" and boundaries of existing knowledge.
With Geminoid’s remote controlling facility, it is possible to avoid this problem, and conduct various researches toward the implementation on high-level human interaction, including the study on human presence.
Research with geminoids take two approaches: One is with the engineering approach, such as development of effective tele-operation interface or generation of natural, humanlike motion. Another is on cognitive aspects, for the investigation on human presence. Through these two approaches, our goal is to realize an advanced robot close to humankind, and at the same time, the quest for the basis of human nature.
- Height: 140cm(in sitting)
- Width: 100cm(including the floor panel)
- Sensors: several tactile sensors
- Actuators: 50 pneumatic actuators
- Power: External control system. Air-flow control valves to drive pneumatic actuators, and an air compressor, and DC power source to control electrical motors
- Computing: No processor in the body
- Software: system for tele operation
- Degrees of Freedom: Total 50(Head: 13, Body: 15, Arms and Legs total: 22)
- Structure and Materials: plastic skull, metal skeleton, urethane foam fresh, and silicone skin